The only problem is that there was strong evidence that the clock had been dropped and was in 'almost" working order. Considering a NIB clock can fetch upwards of $500, I couldn't pass up this opportunity. I have never repaired a clock before, let's do it!
Its not really that bad, it just needs a little love.
Point of impact, confirming that this clock hit the ground, but nothing some putty and paint can't fix. Also kind of dirty.
Front surface is pretty scuffed.
And over here, the glass needs a good polish too.
Major issue, the center guts of the clock are not level, which is probably why the arm is jamming.
Got the clock apart easy enough, heard some rattling as I did.
Just a little pressure and glue to fix that crack from the drop.
This is going to need some paint.
Oh yeah, paint job incoming.
That ones deep. Shouldn't be to tough to match the gold hue with Krylon.
Got the glass all cleaned up, looking better already.
So the rattling was due to these pieces that broke off after the fall.
Only three pegs survived, but I found all but one.
That's more like it.
And that's why the face is crooked, that tan peg broke in the fall as well.
I need to fix three of them while there is no weight on the face.
Loctite to the rescue!
Since there are 2 types of gold finish, I used painters tape to cover the edging for protection.
Six coats later...
Now the face is level and the mechanism is free to move!
100% assembled and looking sharp!
Well, certainly doesn't look too bad now.
*Edit* and here is a video!
Overall, I am really happy with how it came out. Never be afraid to try something new!